After a serious reading slump, September was finally, thankfully, a good reading month for me again. Furthermore, I now spend 90 minutes all by myself in the car every day, and I’ve turned to audiobooks to keep me entertained. I discovered that thanks to Open Borrowing, not only do I have access to my library’s 3M audiobook catalog, but I can also borrow from another library’s Hoopla account. The only thing I find highly annoying is that Amazon is making it so difficult to use other companies’ apps for e- and audiobooks. But who wants to spend ridiculous amounts of money on Audible?
Anyway, here is a summary of our library activity in September:
- Radio Girls, Sarah-Jane Stratford. Very enjoyable historical fiction.
- The Girls of Riyadh, Rajaa Alsanea. Saudi Arabia meets Sex in the City.
- Saga graphic novels. Because I wanted something different from my usual fare. What, I have to wait until 2017 now for the next volume???
- Good Night, Mr. Tom, Michelle Magorian. J Fic / YA about WWII in England.
- The War That Saved My Life, Kimberly Brubaker Bradley. More J Fic / YA about WWII in England.
Currently checked out:
- The Wonder, Emma Donoghue
- All True, Not a Lie in It, Alix Hawley
- Painter of Silence, Georgina Harding
- Island of the Blue Dolphins, Scott O’Dell
In honor of Banned Book Week:
- The Librarian of Basra, Jeanette Winter
- Captain Underpants, Dav Pilkey
- Drama, Raina Telgemeier
People, don’t you know yet that it’s fine to try to restrict your own reading (your loss!), but that it is absolutely NOT OK to tell others what they can and cannot read???
- Alias Grace, Margaret Atwood. For the October readalong hosted by CJ at ebookclassics.
- The Underground Railroad, Colson Whitehead. Of course I didn’t put the Hold on it until after Oprah recommended it.
- All the Missing Girls, Megan Miranda. I don’t even remember what this one is about, but Katie at Doing Dewey recommended it.
- The Girl With All the Gifts, M. R. Carey. My lending period ended before I could finish listening to it, and now I have to wait 58 days until it becomes available again. Arrgh!