Thanks to the blogosphere, I had no trouble picking what to read for the Graphic Novels category of Book Riot’s Read Harder challenge. Miss Marvel quickly conquered the hearts of our family.
- A Muslim teenager as superhero: yay for diversity
- Fully clothed and still kick-ass: love it
- Strange fog in Jersey City: totally credible
- “Embiggen” superpower (can enlarge body parts at will): might be cool superpower to have; plus, leads to creative use of new vocabulary among young readers (!)
- Mutant crocodiles in the sewer: I knew it (they must be related to those alligators in NYC’s subway tunnels)
- Typical teenager problems: very believable (but still no dogs allowed at our house)
- Good deeds endanger friends: old moral dilemma, but good discussion opener
I’m looking forward to the next volume of Miss Marvel’s adventures. I have the first spot in the Holds line at the library (the sign of a pro!).